Leiston Abbey is one of the most extensive monastic remains in Suffolk.
Leiston Abbey Lady Chapel had lain unused for many years, the structure required stone repairs and renovations to ensure weather tightness together with new entrance doors, to bring it up to a usable standard for concerts. Internally the chapel required a modern heating and lighting system to enable Pro Corda charitable trust to utilise this facility fully. JPC CDM services were employed to undertake the CDM Coordinator role for the project.
The principal health and safety issues facing the contractor and the professional team were working at height together with silica dust created from stone cutting and cleaning.
Brief History: After the dissolution of the Monasteries, Leiston Abbey fell into ruin with the stones being quarried for other buildings locally. Throughout the following centuries the abbey became a farm with parts of the ruins being built around and some structures being turned into farm buildings to house animals; this included the Lady Chapel which was utilised as a granary. This use and its thatched roof ensured its survival. In 1918 Miss Ellen Wrightson bought the ruin and surrounding farm, restoring the Lady Chapel for prayer and converting the farmhouse into a retreat house. During the second world war the site was commandeered by the Army. Bequeathed to the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich in 1946, the ruins passed to English Heritage in 1964, and the rest of the site was purchased by Pro-Corda Trust in 1977.